Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Hope They Call Me on a Mission

As a child in Primary the children learn a song called "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission".  Some of the lyrics are: "I hope they call me on a mission when I have grown a foot or two.  I hope by then I will be ready to teach, to preach and do what missionaries do.  I that I can share the gospel."  Well my nephew is making history in my family.  He will be the first male (that is blood related to me) that has chosen to serve a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

On Thursday, June 24th Scooter's mission call arrived in the mail.  We all gathered together at 9:00 p.m. to find out where and when he would serve his mission.  Many predictions were made about where he would serve...India, Idaho, Texas.  Well the call finally arrived and the anticipation was mounting!

The call was in his hand and he began to open it.....
We made him begin by reading the letter:  "Dear Clinton Shipp, You have been called to serve a mission in...


DURBIN, SOUTH AFRICA
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  You will report to the Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Johanesburg, South Africa on November 11, 2010!

We all screamed when we heard the location!  We could not believe he would be going so far away!  We were so excited to get on the internet and research the area.  It is suppose to be a really nice part of South Africa and he will be speaking English.
Now all the preparations begin to get his Visa, shots, suits, shoes and all the necessities ready.  We are all so proud Scooter has made the decision to turn two years of his life over to serving the Lord and the people of South Africa.  He is setting a good example for his cousins and future children!

No comments: